Unit HomeNewsNews Article Display
Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany

 

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany


Readiness Enabler for Operational Forces  •
Base community to celebrate Earth Day

By Nathan L. Hanks Jr. | Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany | April 15, 2015

SHARE

April 22 marks the 45th anniversary of Earth Day.

In an effort to continue preserving the environment, Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany’s Installation and Environment Division will hold several events in recognition of Earth Day.

The Navy's Earth Day theme is, "A sustainable future begins with you," which highlights the important responsibility and contribution of every Marine and family member in ensuring that everyone protects the land and resources entrusted to all people.

The events include:

April 17-24:  Earth Day banners will be placed at all base entrances.

April 22:       Flowers will be planted at the Child Development Center.

                    Electronic waste recycling drop off day for all base employees.

                    Earth Day handouts will be placed at the Child Development Center, Marine Corps Exchange and Base Theater.

April 23:      Conduct trash clean-up of warehouse and Indian Lake areas.

For electronic waste recycling, a recycling trailer will be staged on the west side of Building 3600 from 10 a.m. – noon, to collect electronic items.

All base employees as well as their families may participate in electronic recycling.

Electronic waste includes cell phones, computers, laptops, monitors, televisions, printers, scanners, microwaves, DVD players and refrigerators, according to Robert L. Metts, environmental supervisor, Environmental Branch.

Each year, the U.S. produces up to nearly 50 million tons of electronic waste, according to Earth Day Network’s website, www.earthday.org/ewaste.

Of this, only 20-25 percent is recycled safely and responsibly. The other 75 percent ends up in landfills.

According to the website, as a direct consequence, hazardous materials found in this waste routinely contaminate air and water supplies. By safely and responsibly recycling electronic waste, people can help protect their communities and ecosystems from dangerous chemicals.

Greg Kader, environment protection specialist, Environmental Branch, said, “Earth Day is just a reminder to get everyone involved in ‘going green.’”

“Earth Day should be every day,” Kader said. “April 22 is a day set aside to get everyone involved in picking up trash and recycling it. There are many ways to save energy and protect the environment, and we have to look at renewable energy and ways to protect our environment.”

Kader suggested putting recyclables in recycling stations, which are set up in the hallways in buildings 3500, 3600 and 3700.

He said turning out the lights when leaving a room, keeping the temperature at 68 degrees in the winter and 78 in the summer and conserving water by watering the lawn early in the morning before the sun rises are additional ways people can contribute to saving energy and conserving water.

For more information, call 229-639-6261.

 


SHARE