Unit HomeResourcesVisitorsHistory
Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany

 

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany


Enabling Logistics Excellence  •
History
The People

The most vital part of any military organization is its people. At Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, Ga., a totally integrated workforce of military and civilian men and women strive together to accomplish the base’s mission of supporting those crucial organizations that provide support to Marines around the world. From the administrative clerk to the equipment operator, from the budget clerk to the management analyst, from the mechanic to the police officer —they all work as a team to reach the singular goal of being the best. These are the individuals who make MCLB Albany function, and in a real sense, they are the base.

History of the Command

Native American artifacts, more than 200 to date, have been unearthed here. The artifacts indicate that a Native American hunting camp once stood on the high ground at the east end of Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany.

University of Georgia archeologists believe the flint knives, scrapers, drills, agricultural tools, arrowheads and spearheads found here date back some 8,000 to 10,000 years. These items are evidence that Native Americans also used the site where MCLB Albany is located as a center of resupply or a supply base.

Of special interest was a piece of black flint found at the site. Black flint comes from North Georgia, so it is thought that South Georgia Native Americans, through early trade, made this a very early example of commerce in the Southeast.

A large oak tree is also a historical landmark here. It was named for Col. A.E. Dubber, who from March 1951 to July 1955, was in charge of planning and construction of the Marine Corps Depot of Supplies, Albany, Ga. He was insistent that the construction of the depot be aligned on this oak tree and during the depot’s construction, the tree was affectionately known as “Dubber’s Oak.”

Brig. Gen. Raymond P. Coffman assumed command and a small contingent of Marines established headquarters in temporary buildings when the base was commissioned on March 1, 1952, as the Marine Corps Depot of Supplies. The depot’s name changed two more times before it became Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany on Nov. 3, 1978.

On Jan. 17, 1990, the commandant of the Marine Corps directed the base’s commanding general to also take on the responsibilities of commander, Marine Corps Logistics Bases, which placed MCLB Albany, MCLB Barstow, Calif., and Blount Island Command, Jacksonville, Fla., under this single commander.

On Oct. 4, 2005, the Marine Corps regionalized all installations, and the organization here was divided into a base command with a colonel as its commanding officer, and Marine Corps Logistics Command headed by a commanding general. MCLB Albany became one of seven regional installations reporting to Marine Corps Installations East. Logistics Command became a separate tenant with its headquarters here and subordinate maintenance centers in Albany; Barstow, Calif.; and Blount Island Command, Jacksonville, Fla.

An integrated workforce of military and civilian men and women accomplish the base’s mission of supporting its organizations that help sustain Marines around the world.

A new Mobile Trauma Bay was used in combat on Oct. 28, 2009, in Now Zad, Afghanistan. Maintenance Center Albany’s engineers and craftsmen were responsible for the concept. The bays enable personnel in theater to provide emergency trauma care through task-organized tactical trauma teams with a means of force protection and environmental control.

In a landmark ceremony, Sept. 23, 2011, base and local officials flipped the switch on a $20 million generator plant that produces 1.9 megawatts of renewable electric power and steam by burning landfill gas collected from a nearby landfill. MCLB Albany, Dougherty County, Ga., and Chevron Energy Solutions officials inked the first landfill gas-to-energy partnership in December 2009. 

The new green technology is the first of its kind within the Department of the Navy. The process recovers methane gas from the neighboring landfill and converts it into energy and steam to help power the Marine Depot Maintenance Command. This is only one effort by MCLB Albany in creating the premiere green base in the Department of Defense.

On the seventh anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, more than 3,900 Marines, Sailors and Airmen from Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., sought safe haven at MCLB Albany, Aug. 27, 2012, to escape Hurricane Isaac’s impending landfall between the panhandle of Florida and the Louisiana Gulf Coast. The displaced military personnel, who stayed in warehouses during their evacuation, returned home, Aug. 30, 2012. In 2005, MCLB Albany hosted military evacuees from NAS Pensacola due to Hurricane Katrina and they stayed for about 21 days.

MCLB Albany