Visitor Control Center

The Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany Visitor Control Center provides administrative assistance for all service members (active/reserve), family members of service members and government employees.

Our mission is to enforce regulations and establish procedures for issue and recovery of all identification cards (military and civilian).

Hours of Operation & Appointments

The Visitor Control Center is located on Fleming Road at Building 3010, Room 33


The Visitor Control Center hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for vehicle registration, 30-day passes and visitor passes. Wednesday and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for DEERS ID Card Services. The Visitor Control Center is closed for lunch from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Appointments are required to receive services at the Visitor Control Center. If you would like to make an appointment for the ID Card Center, click the link: Appointment Scheduler

In the event you are not be able to keep your appointment, please call (229) 639-5118 to cancel your appointment or click on the Appointment Scheduler link to cancel.

Acceptable Proof of Identification Documents

In order to verify your eligibility for issuance of a Common Access Card (CAC) or another type of ID, you must present two valid forms of identification. The primary document must be a valid photo ID. Must be state or government issued. All of the documentation must be original or certified true copies. Copies of the original are not accepted. Valid Forms of Identification 

Lost or Stolen Identification Card Replacement Process

If you lose your identification card or it is stolen, you must complete the lost and stolen ID card Form, have your supervisor or E6 and above sign the form and file a report with the United States Marine Corps Police Department/Albany. Report of Lost or Stolen Identification Form

Vehicle Registration

In accordance with MARADMIN 245/16 and MCO 5580.2B all personnel operating a vehicle aboard Marine Corps installations are still required to complete the vehicle registration process when assigned as permanent installation personnel or to a tenant unit on the installation. The registration requirement applies to on and off base residents and in accordance with reference (b) shall include: a valid state registration certificate, proof of insurance, a valid state driver's license and a safety inspection sticker. Safety inspection stickers are required if the state in which the vehicle is registered mandates their use. Members have a personal responsibility to report changes in registration that occur during their tour of duty. 


What regulations cover ID cards?
• DODI 1000.13
• AFI 36.30263 IP

What does DEERS stand for?
• Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System

What are the operating hours for the ID Card Section?
• Mondays thru Fridays, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Closed for lunch 11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.  

Does my sponsor have to be with me to get an ID card?
• Yes, with the following exceptions:
If the sponsor signs DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) in the presence of a Verifying Official, the family member may bring this form unaccompanied by the sponsor.
If the sponsor signs DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) and has it notarized, the family member may bring this form unaccompanied by the sponsor.
The family member may sign the DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment using a general power of attorney (POA).
If none of the above, a 30-day temporary card may be issued depending on the circumstances.

The sponsor may also utilize the self-service option online. The DD Form 1172-2 can be found and digitally signed by the sponsor using his/ her Common Access Card on MilConnect RAPIDS Self Service ID Card Office Online

Upon digital signature the system will automatically update and can be retrieved by the ID Card Office. 

5. What documentation is needed to add, remove or make changes to DEERS?
• The sponsor will always need original or true certified supporting documentation to make any changes, (i.e. Birth, Death, Marriage Certificate, Social Security Cards, Divorce, Adoption, and Custody Decrees)

6. Once the DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) is signed, how long is it good for?
• Up to 90 days on the 91st day the DD Form 1172-2 is shredded.

7. What is the earliest an ID card can be renewed before expiring?
• 30 days for Common Access Card (CAC)
• 90 days for dependents, with the following exceptions:
• card is damaged
• promotion of sponsor
• significant change in appearance

8. If the sponsor is deployed, how can a family member receive an ID card?
• The dependent should bring documentation stating deployment, and legal documentation if someone needs to be added to sponsor's record in DEERS. The family member may sign the DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) using a general power of attorney (POA).

9. What is the minimum age a dependent can receive an ID card?
• Age 10, with the following exceptions:

dependent dual active service members
sponsor is a single parent
dependent is not residing in sponsor's household

10. How long may a dependent keep an ID card?
• Up to age 21. At age 21 if the dependent is enrolled FULL TIME in an accredited institution of higher learning, that dependent may have an ID card until the date of graduation or their 23rd birthday, whichever occurs first. The National Defense authorization Act for Fiscal year 2011 extends dependent medical coverage up to age 26. The legislation authorizes both TRICARE Standard and TRICARE Prime which will be implemented in a two phased approach.

• Enrollment process through the TRICARE Management activity (TMA), began April 1, 2011. When enrolling, the sponsor may opt to have the date of initial enrollment back dated to January 1, 2011, provided the sponsor pay retroactive premium payments. If the eligible dependent incurs health care expenses prior to April, all receipts against claims can be submitted once the dependent is enrolled.

• Once dependents have enrolled and show eligible in DEERS, they can proceed to the nearest DEERS/RAPIDS site to receive an ID card. There should be no enrollments or child adds at the DEERS/TERMINAL UNLESS a dependent is not visible to the Managed Care Support Contractor, normally these would consist of children who were never added to the sponsor DEERS record.

• EXCEPTION: If the dependent is incapacitated, a child dependency packet needs to be completed. This packet can be obtained from our office and then forwarded to DFAS.

• For more information about the program and legislation, please visit

11. What is needed to establish a dependent as a full-time student in DEERS?
• A letter from the school's registrar's office stating the dependents full-time status and anticipated graduation date.

12. Can a retiring sponsor on terminal leave be issued a retirement ID card before the retirement date?
• Yes, up to 90 days prior. Although the system allows for this, it is not recommended due to the possibility of a gap in TRICARE coverage when entering a date before the actual retirement date.

13. Can a parent, step-parent, or parent-in-law be added as a dependent to DEERS?
• Yes, There are forms available at the ID Card Center that must be filled out and sent to DFAS for approval. Once approved the service member should bring the forms and the newly established dependent to the ID card center to be entered into DEERS and to receive and ID card.

14. How is a spouse added to DEERS?
• The sponsor will bring in the marriage certificate, birth certificate, social security card and picture ID (i.e. Drivers License, State ID, etc.).

15. How are children added to DEERS?
• It is dependent on the following:

A female sponsor needs to only bring the child's birth certificate and Social Security card.
An unmarried male sponsor must have the child's birth certificate, Social Security card, and judicial determination (i.e. court-ordered child support or divorce decree naming children as his own). If no judicial determination has been made forms are available at an ID Card Center that must be sent to DFAS for approval.
If a male sponsor is married and his wife is already on DEERS, he need only to bring the child's birth certificate and Social Security Card.

16. Can step-children be added to DEERS?
• Yes, as long as they reside with that service member and are not already the dependents of another service member (unless the sponsor's spouse has physical custody, in which case such document must also be presented.

17. Can a ward of a service member be added to DEERS?
• Yes, The service member must bring the court document(s), the birth certificate(s) of the dependent(s), the Social Security card(s), and picture ID(s), if applicable. The ward(s) must reside with the sponsor and be dependent on the sponsor for over half of their support.

18. Can an Unremarried Former Spouse (URFS) of a sponsor keep their ID card and benefits?
• Yes, when the following conditions are met:

The sponsor performed at least 20 years of service
The sponsor was married to the sponsor at least 20 years
The 20 years of marriage were during the 20 years of the sponsor's service.
All the above being met, the URFS is entitled to full benefits so long as they do not remarry.
- OR -

The sponsor performed at least 20 years of service
The spouse was married to the sponsor at least 20 years
The 20 years of marriage were during at least 15 years of the sponsor's service
All the above being met, the URFS is only entitled to medical coverage for 1 year

19. What is required for a Disabled American Veteran (DAV) to receive an ID card?
• To receive a DAV ID card, the person must bring:
The letter from the Office of Veteran Affairs (VA) stating that they are 100% disabled and has entitlements to the Commissary and Post Exchange.

• The service Members DD214 (Honorable Discharge from Active Duty)

• Picture ID and supporting documentation for any and all family members to be added.

Note: A Disabled American Veterans ID card entitles them to Commissary and Exchange privileges only. Medical is handled by the VA.

New Information: Updated information on SSN Removal from DoD ID Cards Phase Two (Updated) will incorporate a 10 digit DoD ID number that will be printed on all DoD ID cards in lieu of the SSN. All individuals who are eligible to receive DoD benefits such as, commissary, exchange, or TRICARE purchased care will also receive a DoD Benefits Number. This updated phase should be ready to implement no later than the end of May 2011.

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany