Information for Contractors
Doing Business with the Government

  1. All firms must have a taxpayer identification number (TIN), also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN).  You can get an EIN either through the mail or by telephone.  But first you must fill out Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number.  You can get Form SS-4 at SSA offices or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676.  It is also available at the IRS website:

  1. Next is a D & B D-U-N Number.  These numbers are free of charge and can be obtained on the World Wide Web at:

click on "D&B D-U-N Number" on the side toolbar.  Then "Request a D& B D-U-N Number.  Choose from one of the two options and complete the form and submit electronically.  The process time is approximately 14 days.

  1. System for Award Management (SAMS).  You may register your firm with this system via the Internet at:

Click on "Start New Registration" on the left toolbar. You will then be prompted to input your DUNS Number and click submit.

  1. Register in Wide Area Workflow - Receipts and Acceptance (WAWF).  WAWF is a secure web-based system for electronic invoicing, receipt and acceptance.  WAWF creates a virtual folder to combine the three documents required to pay a vendor - the contract, the invoice and the Receiving Report.  The WAWF application enables electronic form submission of invoices, government inspection, and acceptance documents in order to support DoD's goal of moving to a paperless acquisition process.‎

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany