Unit HomeNewsNews Article Display
Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany

 

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany


Readiness Enabler for Operational Forces  •
Base to celebrate Earth Day

By Nathan L. Hanks Jr. | | April 18, 2014

SHARE

Tuesday marks the 44th anniversary of Earth Day. In an effort to help preserve the environment, Marine Corps Logistics Base

Albany’s Installation and Environment Division will hold several events in recognition of Earth Day.

Brian Wallace, branch head, Environmental Branch, Installation and Environment Division, said the events include:

• An Earth Day poster contest with the Youth and Teen Center, Friday

• Hand out Earth Day material at the Child Development Center, Monday

• An “electronic waste” recycling day, Tuesday

• Trash pick-up in the warehouse area and Indian Lake, Wednesday

“The Environmental Branch encourages all tenant commands to conduct a clean-up in their areas of responsibility,” Wallace said.

For the “electronic waste” recycling day, a recycling trailer will be staged on the west side of Building 3600 from 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. to collect electronic items.

Service members, retirees, contractors, civilian-Marines and their families may participate.

Electronic waste includes cell phones, computers, laptops, monitors, televisions, printers, scanners, microwaves, DVD players and refrigerators, according to Robert L. Metts, environmental supervisor, Environmental Branch, Installation and Environment Division.

Each year, the U.S. produces up to nearly 50 million tons of electronic waste, according to Earth Day Network’s website,

www.earthday.org/ewaste. Of this, only 20-25 percent is recycled safely and responsibly. The other 75 percent ends up in landfills.

According to the website, as a direct consequence, hazardous materials found in this waste routinely contaminate air and water supplies. By safely and responsibly recycling electronic waste, people can help protect their communities and ecosystem from dangerous chemicals.

In keeping with MCLB Albany’s ongoing “green” initiatives, the base recycled 200,201 pounds of paper products, which equates to

100.10 tons, in 2013, Metts said.

“We recycle all types of paper including newspapers, phone books, magazines and carbon paper,” he continued. “The only thing that should be in the waste basket is food. Everything else can be recycled.”

If it’s paper and it’s not white, it should be placed in the newspaper bins around the base, he said.

For more information about recycling or to volunteer for the trash pickup, call 229-639-8934/8199.
SHARE