Unit HomeNewsNews Article Display
Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany


Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany

Readiness Enabler for Operational Forces  •
Changes announced for PCS overseas moves

By Nathan L. Hanks Jr. | | April 21, 2011

Marines making a permanent change of station move overseas are now required to schedule their flight arrangements three months prior to leaving their duty station according to Marine Administrative Message 196/11.

The message also states Marines who do not reserve their flights ahead of time may risk paying for their airfare out of pocket.

“The new regulation is designed to encourage maximum use of military flights,” said Cathy Salucci, traffic manager, Logistics Support Division, Traffic Management Office, Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany. “Marines who don’t follow this order could be out thousands of dollars.”

Released March 28, the MARADMIN is to remind Marines of the travel regulations that address transoceanic trips with emphasizing the side trips known as circuitous travel.

“Marines must understand the rules in place for this type of travel and if they don’t follow the approval process, they will not be reimbursed,” Salucci said.

Per the message, Marines must submit their approval request for the circuitous travel to the Manpower Integration and Administration Branch at Headquarters Marine Corps.

Travel arrangements will be made through the Commercial Travel Office, which is Carlson Wagonlit Sato, located inside TMO in Building 3500.

“If Marines are ordered to travel in less than 90 days, they will have 10 working days to arrange for the travel,” Salucci said.

Marines also must use a U.S. certified air carrier for the entire trip. Portions flown aboard foreign air carriers will not be reimbursed without a waiver, which can only be approved when a U.S. carrier is unavailable. Marines will sign a statement of understanding from the Installation Personnel Administration Center.

According to Salucci, military personnel are required to comply with the Foreign Clearance Guide, Section I, paragraph A.1.a which states, “Military personnel on official business require military ID cards and travel orders that indicate active-duty status. Official travel orders and military ID cards are considered Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents.”

“Also, it has been found that military personnel returning from overseas routinely do not have a copy of their military travel or leave orders on their person,” she said. “Instead, they usually place their orders in checked baggage and have to be sent to U.S. Customs and Border Protection secondary screening or have their baggage pulled from the aircraft, delaying the traveler and extending the clearance process. Keep a copy of your orders always on your person or carry on suitcase when traveling overseas.”

For more information, call (229) 639-6251.