Unit HomeNewsNews Article Display
Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany

 

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany


Readiness Enabler for Operational Forces  •
Marines taking care of deployed Marines

By Sgt. Andrew P. Roufs | | June 7, 2005

SHARE
If you have ever sat down for an hour with some friends or comrades talking about experiences you have shared together, you might have enjoyed a good cigar to help calm your nerves.
Marines in Iraq and other far off places don’t have access to cigars, so a Marine stationed here decided to do just that.  “It’s just something I wanted to do,” said Sgt. Terry Canedo, telephone technician, Telephone Office. 

Over 90 percent of the cigars were donated from a Web site www.cigarfamily.com whose owners are friends of Canedo.  The other 10 percent came from Canedo and several others who enjoy smoking cigars and gave cigars out of their own personal collections to donate to servicemembers in Iraq.  “(It was) mostly individuals who enjoy cigars and wanted to help out,” Canedo added.  “I know what it is like to be in the field and want a taste of home,” said former Marine sergeant Chad Wansing, enterprise back up and recovery team lead, C-4, here.

Two 40-quart coolers filled with 1,008 cigars costing around $7,000 were sent to Iraq costing Canedo $160 for shipping to two people who agreed to dispense these cigars to their fellow Marines.  Master Sgt. Joseph Hanks, nuclear biological chemical chief, 2nd Marine Division is one of the two Marines selected to dispense cigars to deployed Marines.  Hanks’ name was referred from a woman who runs the Web site www.operationfreedomsmoke.com. The other person selected to dispense cigars was Capt. William Herron, officer in charge, Communications Center here who is currently deployed to Iraq.

“We will possibly do it again in a year,” concluded Canedo.  For more information or to donate cigars contact Canedo at (229)639-5622 or email at terry.canedo@usmc.mil.
SHARE